New Visions Incubator
2017 Application Form
This project is funded by the Government of Ontario and the Ontario150 Partnership Program.
DOC Institute’s New Visions Incubator, an artistic documentary-focused mentorship program for young filmmakers across Ontario, is now accepting applications.
Applications for the New Visions Incubator are closed for 2017. Please check back in 2018!
Eligible applicants must:
1. be 20-29 years of age at the time of application;
2. be an entry-level filmmaker (this includes those with no – or very little – paid professional experience in the media industry);
3. reside in proximity to the Greater Toronto Area, Belleville, or Sudbury;
4. be fully available for program commitments, including a 3-day bootcamp in each location (dates below), monthly in-person meetings (scheduled for May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December), and a 3-day networking event in Toronto (November 15 – 18). NOTE: Northern Ontario participants will have their monthly meetings via online video conference.
- May 12 – 14: Toronto
- May 19 – 21: Belleville (includes filmmakers from Belleville, Peterborough, Kingston, Ottawa)
- June 2 – 4: Sudbury (includes Northern Ontario)
Applications will be reviewed by a committee of leaders from the documentary community, with representation from Belleville, Toronto, and Sudbury. They will select up to 10 filmmakers for each Incubator locale (for a total of 30 participants across Ontario). Decisions will be made in April.
How to Apply
In ONE word doc or PDF please upload:
1) A brief written statement of interest describing: a) your interest in documentary media, b) how the program will benefit you, and c) specific goals for what you expect to achieve in the program (1 page max).
2) A brief description of documentary projects you would like to develop during the program (2 projects max). Focus on projects that you are best equipped to tell, both practically and artistically. (1 page or less).
3) A CV or a written description of your personal or professional experience and achievements specific to media. NOTE: While prior enrolment in a film program is not a requirement to apply, we encourage participants to include any relevant educational background in this section.
4) A sample of your work, if available (e.g. links to video clips or written outline for a media project).
Please see our Commitment to Diversity statement at the bottom of the page.
Some tips for your application:
a. Demonstrate your passion. This does not equate to years of experience, scores of credits or even formal academic training. The written statement, in particular, is an opportunity to show your sincere interest in pursuing documentary media and entering Canada’s strong tradition documentary storytelling.
b. If you are submitting a work sample, it should reflect your passion. While this program is for those who are early in their careers, we expect that your interest in media has materialized in some form, whether it’s getting your great doc idea down on paper or going out to shoot some preliminary footage.
Please get in touch with Senaa Ahmad with any questions at email@example.com.