To apply candidates must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, live and work in Ontario (we welcome applications from outside the GTA).
- Be documentary filmmakers who have at least one producing or directing broadcast credit, but no more than five; or who have a comparable level of industry success and experience.
- Have a slate of one to three projects in development (can be features, shorts, or web series).
- Be able to attend the following: the two Breakthrough weekend workshops (January and February), the Breakthrough Program (March – April); the majority of the Hot Docs Festival (April/May), including the Forum; and all DOC Institute training during the program.
The following information (in one Word doc or PDF) is required to apply:
- In three pages or less, give us a summary of your industry and work experience, your educational background and past professional development, or mentorship programs. Please note that many past applicants choose to submit a CV plus a list of broadcast credits and/or a filmography. This section should be used to convey your relevant experience to the jury, so please share your accomplishments with us!
- In one page, tell us why you would benefit from the Breakthrough Program and what you hope to achieve by attending the Hot Docs Festival and Forum. Why would this program be timely for your career as a producer or director intending to produce your next project? Tell us about how you intend to interact with the other participants in the program to build community and how you have built community in your career thus far.
- In one page, tell us briefly about one of your projects. We encourage you to include links to any trailers, visual elements/references and/or websites you have. However, this is not mandatory.
- In one page, if you have a second or third project in development, you may tell us about them. We encourage you to include links to any trailers, visual elements/references and/or websites you have. However, this is not mandatory.
Please note: Non-members are required to pay a registration fee of $25 + tax and will be asked to join DOC if accepted into the program. We will send you a link with a method for payment on Monday, December 6.
Questions? Contact us by email at email@example.com or call us at 647-846-8007.