Short Film Lab
2018 Application Form
This project is supported by the Ontario Trillium Foundation.
DOC Institute’s Short Film Lab, an artistic documentary-focused mentorship program for young filmmakers across Central & Eastern Ontario, is now accepting applications.
Eligible applicants must:
1. be 25-34 years of age at the time of application;
2. be an entry-level filmmaker (this includes those with no – or very little – paid professional experience in the media industry);
3. reside in proximity to Central or Eastern Ontario;
4. be fully available for program commitments, including a 3-day bootcamp in each location (dates below).
Bootcamp Dates: They will be scheduled on a weekend in January or February 2019. Please indicate in your application which dates you will not be available.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee of leaders from the documentary community, with representation from Central and Eastern Ontario. A total of 16 individuals will be selected to participate, with announcements taking place in December.
How to Apply
In ONE word doc or PDF please upload:
1) A brief written statement of interest describing: a) your interest in documentary media, b) how the program will benefit you, and c) specific goals for what you expect to achieve in the program (1 page max).
2) A brief description of documentary project you would like to develop during the program. Focus on a project that you are best equipped to tell, both practically and artistically. (1 page or less);
3) A CV or a written description of your personal or professional experience and achievements, including any technical skillset you have. NOTE: While prior enrolment in a film program is not a requirement to apply, we encourage participants to include any relevant educational background in this section.
4) A sample of your work, if available.
Please see our Commitment to Diversity statement at the bottom of the page.
Some tips for your application:
a. Demonstrate your passion. This does not equate to years of experience, scores of credits or even formal academic training. The written statement, in particular, is an opportunity to show your sincere interest in pursuing documentary media and entering Canada’s strong tradition documentary storytelling.
b. If you are submitting a work sample, it should reflect your passion. While this program is for those who are early in their careers, we expect that your interest in media has materialized in some form, whether it’s getting your great doc idea down on paper or going out to shoot some preliminary footage.
Application Deadline: November 30, 2018
Please get in touch with Genie Fung with any questions at email@example.com.